I’m a pathologist who enjoys computers.
Education and Training
- Pathology Informatics Fellowship - UPMC, 2006
- Certificate, Biomedical Informatics - U. Pittsburgh, 2006
- Pathology Residency - Cleveland Clinic, 2005
- MD - Ohio State University, 2000
- BS - Cellular & Molecular Biology, U. Michigan, 1995
- Breast and Gynecologic Pathology
- Image Analysis
- Whole Slide Imaging (WSI)
- Automation of Pathologist workflow, including advanced image analysis
- 3D tissue microscopy (Optical Coherence Tomography - OCT)
- Whole Slide Imaging (WSI) - clinical applications, R&D, telepathology
- MultiSpectral Imaging (MSI)
Collaboration with industry
- Whole Slide Imaging and image analysis - Omnyx (a joint venture between Pitt and GE Healthcare)
- Japan Exchange and Teaching Program Alumnus (Ibaraki-ken, Japan) (茨城県下妻市の教育委員会でした。)
- My UPMC Web Page
- Advanced Imaging and Image Analysis (in progress)
- Digital Pathology Imaging Group (D-PIG)
- UPMC WSI Imaging Services
- Association for Pathology Informatics (API)
- Durkin JR, Fine JL, Sam H, Pugliano-Mauro M, Ho J. Imaging of Mohs Micrographic Surgery Sections Using Full-Field Optical Coherence Tomography: A Pilot Study. Dermatologic Surgery. Early View (online version ahead of print, Jan 16 2014).
- Sellaro TL, Filkins R, Hoffman C, Fine JL, Ho J, Parwani AV, Pantanowitz L, Montalto M. Relationship between magnification and resolution in digital pathology systems. J Pathol Inform. 2013 Aug 22;4:21.
- Yu J, Monaco SE, Onisko A, Bhargava R, Dabbs DJ, Cieply KM, Fine JL. A validation study of quantum dot multispectral imaging to evaluate hormone receptor status in ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) of the breast. Hum Pathol. Submitted and Accepted for publication (accepted June 13, 2012).
- Fine JL. Comment on "Modified full-field optical coherence tomography: A novel tool for rapid histology of fresh tissues". J Pathol Inform. 2011;2:28. [invited, peer-reviewed editorial]
- Fine JL, Kagemann L, Wollstein G, Ishikawa H, Schuman JS. Direct scanning of pathology specimens using spectral domain optical coherence tomography: a pilot study. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2010; 41:S58-S64.
- Fine JL, Grzybicki DM, Silowash R, Ho J, Gilbertson JR, Anthony L, Wilson R, Parwani AV, Bastacky SI, Epstein JI, Jukic DM. Evaluation of Whole Slide Image Immunohistochemistry Interpretation in Challenging Prostate Needle Biopsies. Hum Pathol. 39(4):564-72. 2008. (Epub 2008 Jan 30).
- Horbinski C, Fine JL, Medina-Flores R, Yagi Y, Wiley CA. Telepathology for Intraoperative Neuropathologic Consultations at an Academic Medical Center: A 5-Year Report. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol, 66(8):750-9. 2007.