UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH GLOBAL VISION AND STRATEGY
Revised April 26, 2012 by the Global Vision Task Force based on feedback received by the Provost’s office from members of the COD.
I. GLOBAL VISION
By 2020, the University of Pittsburgh will be a community of faculty, students, and staff Living Globally. The Living Globally commitment will influence all aspects of our research, teaching, and service missions and will serve to enhance the University’s reputation as a leader in global education. We will:
- Pursue research and scholarship that increase global understanding.
- Develop our students into global citizens and leaders.
- Improve people’s lives by studying and solving the world’s most critical problems.
II. CORE STRATEGIES SUPPORTING THE VISION
Six core strategies define the University of Pittsburgh’s approach to achieving the vision of Living Globally. We will:
- Develop key global research themes that build on University priorities and on faculty strengths and interests while being agile in responding to emerging issues and opportunities.
- Embed our global research, teaching and service with a deep understanding of local language and culture.
- Focus on a set of key regions and countries that support our vision and build on our strengths in languages and the academic disciplines.
- Build our programs and activities through partnerships around the world with the highest quality universities and with other institutions in strategic locations.
- Create a limited number of hubs of Pitt activity in locations abroad chosen to involve multiple units over many years and to make a lasting and demonstrable impact.
- Take an interdisciplinary approach to our global agenda by increasing the collaboration among units of the University (including between the Provost’s Area Schools and the Schools of the Health Sciences).